If you are battling a parasite, bacteria or yeast, it’s probably likely that you’ve also battled die-off. Die-off is short hand for a Herxheimer reaction, which is when dying pathogens (parasites, bacteria or yeast) release toxins that overwhelm the body and make it difficult for the body to clear them out. Die-off manifests in different ways and can have varying symptoms. (source)
- Headaches or Dizziness
- Brain Fog
- Bloating, Gas, Constipation or Diarrhea
- Joint or Muscle Pain
- Chills or Sweating
- Skin Breakouts or Rash
- Excess Mucus Production or Sinus Infections
It basically feels like your body is working extra hard to get the toxins out, and it is! Most literature I’ve found say that this reaction can last anywhere from 3-7 days. However, sometimes I feel like it can last even longer, depending on your treatment plan. You are more likely to have die-off flair ups at certain times during your treatment.
Causes Of Die-Off
- If you switch from a processed food diet to a real food diet, the pathogens are starved and will die off.
- If you start probiotics or increase your dosage, the good probiotics and gut flora will help kill off the bad pathogens.
- If you start or increase an anti-parasitic, anti-yeast or antibiotic treatment, you will definitely have a lot of pathogens dying. (source)
Die-off can be pretty unpleasant. I found that the fatigue and brain fog hit me the hardest! To help our bodies detox more quickly and get rid of those toxins floating around, we want to focus on increasing blood circulation, stimulating the lymphatic system and sweating it out.
Increasing blood circulation helps the body do it’s job and remove toxins from the body faster. The lymphatic system eliminates toxins through a series of vessels. And sweating it out help our bodies remove those toxins even faster!
15 Ways to Detox and Beat Die-Off
- Take Detox Baths. They help you sweat out the toxins! I’ve seen great results from epsom salt baths and betonite clay baths. For an epsom salt bath, add 1 cup of epsom salt, 1 cup of sea salt, 1/4 cup apple cider and a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. For a clay bath, add 1 cup of betonite clay, 1 cup of epsom salt and a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Stay in the bath for 15-20 minutes for best results. I also recommend trying this Lava Love Bath Powder, made out of lava from Oregon volcanoes. It contains betonite, zeolite and charcoal to purify and detox the body. Lava Love was created because clay detox baths cured one of the co-owner’s Lyme disease. Check out her amazing story!
- Visit The Sauna. A visit to the sauna can improve your immune system, get your blood circulating and help your body sweat out the toxins. Try to stay in for at least 15 minutes and make sure to stay hydrated.
- Start Dry Brushing. Use a bristle dry brush to increase circulation and stimulate the lymphatic system. It’s also said to be a natural treatment for cellulite! Use this great article from Empowered Sustenance to learn how to dry brush.
- Get a Massage. If you ever need an excuse to get a massage, here it is! Massage helps stimulate the circulatory and lymphatic systems. The toxins literally get squeezed out from the muscle fibers and cells into the circulatory system for better elimination.
- See an Acupuncturist. Acupuncture helps support and encourage the organs of elimination, so the body will be better able to rid itself of toxins.
- Stay Hydrated. But don’t go overboard! Over hydration can lead to a lot of problems, like stressing out the adrenal glands. Just drink when you are thirsty and add 1/4 of a lemon or 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to help flush out toxins through the liver.
- Exercise! Any exercise will get the circulatory and lymphatic systems going. But I love Baptiste (warm) yoga or Bikram (hot) yoga, because you’ll also get a good sweat!
- Start Rebounding. Bounce on a mini trampoline for 10-20 minutes a day to get the lymphatic system working and bowel movements flowing. I haven’t tried this yet, but I added a mini trampoline to my Amazon wish list!!
- Poop, poop, poop! However you can, make sure you are having daily bowel movements. This will help remove toxins through elimination. I recommend probiotics and magnesium citrate to help you poop better!
- Breathe Deeply. Spend some time, 5-10 minutes a day, focusing on your breath and breathing deeply. Increasing oxygen in the body will improve the immune system and stimulate the lymphatic system.
- Follow Your Treatment Plan. Stick to your diet. It’s even harder for the body to remove toxins if we keep adding more through processed foods.
- Eat Easy to Digest Foods. Eating real, cooked foods will aid in digestion and elimination. Stay away from raw foods.
- Do Some Detox Yoga Poses. Spend some time in Downward Dog or Waterfall. Both of these
poses increase circulation and lymph flow.
- Start Oil Pulling. Oil pulling is said to remove toxins from the teeth and gums and improve oral health. Check out how to make some oil pulling chews from Wellness Mama.
- Talk to Your Functional Medicine Practitioner. My FMP offers IV fluids and vitamin B-12 shots to help people over come die-off symptoms and get their energy back. See what your doctor can do for you!
Most of these methods are beneficial to do on a weekly basis, even if you’re not battling die-off! There are so many chemicals around us all the time, that it’s good to support our elimination pathways. We don’t want those toxins getting stuck in our bodies and causing problems!
What detox methods do you use? How have you learned to deal with die-off?
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. However, all of my opinions are my own and are not swayed by being an affiliate.