When I started my Paleo journey in January, 2014, I had no idea where it would lead me. Clean eating lead to an interest in overall healthy living. And, as an obsessive person, my quest for healthy living has definitely taken off! (I guess it’s much better than other things I could be obsessed with!)
It makes sense really. As you start paying attention to what you’re eating, you start looking at what else you put in your body. It’s more than just what we eat. It’s what we put on our skin, like toiletries and makeup, what we clean with and our general health practices. As I’ve said before, I’ve just started on this journey. These are the experiences I’ve had so far.
Everyone is a little different and everyone has different experiences, but I hope that what I share can help you along your road to a healthier you.
Basically, I have gotten most of my information from other bloggers and from researching subjects on the internet. This is where my obsession has really come in handy! There are many nights that I stay up reading articles and posts until my eyes hurt. If that sounds like torture to you, then you’ve come to the right place, because I’ve done the reading for you! I’ll break down subjects into further detail on posts to come. And I’ll add links to the more scientific articles, if you are a reader like me.
I’ll also warn you that there can sometimes be conflicting data out there. Don’t get frustrated! It takes some time to find exactly what works for you. Also, if the first thing you try isn’t the right thing for you, be patient. Again, it takes some time to find what works.
I’m also taking this advice myself, as there are some issues that I haven’t fully resolved yet, but I’m on my way. And I’ll tell you all about my journey as I work toward better health.
So, some things that I’m going to address include:
1. Lose the toxic face products. Ok, don’t freak out. I would’ve freaked out if you said this to me 8 months ago. But you might come around after you hear my experience. I have struggled with acne since I was 13. I am now 26. I have gone to every doctor, dermatologist, you name it. I was taking prescription drugs, both oral and topical, for years and things didn’t seem to be improving for me. Until I stumbled upon the all-natural way of cleaning and caring for your skin. I now use the oil cleansing method. It probably sounds crazy, but my skin is less oily and more toned since switching. I still feel that I have more research to do regarding a cure for my skin and I’ll have to update you on what I find. But I will do a post soon to show you my complete skin care regimen.
2. Lose the birth control. Again, don’t freak out. There are natural ways to protect yourself without putting dangerous, artificial hormones into your body. I have a lot to say about this topic, so there is much more to come. Some things I’ll talk about include why birth control is so bad for you, the benefits of quitting the pill and ways to protect yourself off of the pill. I’m very excited about this topic, so be sure to check back to learn more! In the meantime, Empowered Sustenance has a great article about the damage that birth control can cause and ways to repair your hormone imbalance.
3. Go natural everywhere you can. This includes hair, makeup, toiletries, perfume, etc. I know there’s a stigma that natural can’t possibly be better. But, I have found that with a lot of things, it is. There are some things that I still struggle to find the right natural product, but maybe together we can find what works! I’ll go over with you what I use, what I have found that works and what I have found that doesn’t work! I’ve done a lot of the searching already, so you don’t need to waste money testing products that don’t work!
4. Cleaning products can be all natural too! I have found some great DIY recipes here! I think that these solutions are even better than the store bought chemicals we usually drag through our homes. I’ll go over the hazards of chemicals, the benefits of using natural solutions and the recipes that I use.
5. Use relaxing workouts, meditation, yoga, journaling, anything to help you de-stress and relax. Relaxation is so important. So many people today are bogged down with stress that causes extreme harm to our bodies. But, don’t fret! There are many ways to help yourself relax and I’ll go over some of my favorite with you. I’ll explain the benefits and the concerns with having too much stress in your life. Add one of these things to your day and you’ll already start to feel less stressed!
That may sound like a lot, but we’ll go through it slowly together. Follow the journey with me and we’ll improve our bodies and our minds. And I’ll add more as we discover more on the way!
Leave comments, questions or ideas that you have below. I always love to hear from you!