It was a normal day for me. I was furiously reading natural living blogs, adding any supplement I thought might help my situation to my Amazon shopping cart and otherwise feeling frustrated with my body, when I stumbled upon a blog post recommending Functional Medicine. I was intrigued. I started to do some more research and decided that I wanted to give Functional Medicine a try.
Needless to say, I didn’t schedule an appointment the next day. It took me awhile to realize the true benefit of Functional Medicine. However, I am now healing my body with the help of a Functional Medicine Practitioner. Now there are no more endless days of wondering, “What’s wrong with me?” or “Do other people feel this way?”
“…functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease.” – About Functional Medicine
Functional Medicine has truly changed the way I live my life and feel on a daily basis. We don’t have to feel sick, tired and irritable! There is a solution. And I’ve found the quickest way to healing is through Functional Medicine. Here are my top 8 reasons why I love Functional Medicine and why I recommend it to everyone around me.
- Functional Medicine is patient centered. You will spend time discussing your family history and lifestyle. Your first appointment could last an hour and a half. Compare that to 15 minutes with a regular physician.
- Functional Medicine looks at your whole body and all of your symptoms. No more doctor hopping to find out why you feel so crappy.
- Functional Medicine uses the latest laboratory testing. These tests will pinpoint exactly where your body is breaking down.
- Functional Medicine tests can be done on your hormonal system, digestive system and detoxification system. It’s usually a disconnect in one of these areas that causes our unpleasant symptoms.
- Functional Medicine provides treatment through nutrition, exercise, botanical medicines, supplements, detoxification programs and/or stress-management techniques. Your doctor will work directly with you to find the best course of treatment for you.
- Functional Medicine identifies and treats the underlying cause of your issues. Instead of simply treating your symptoms, like most western medicine does, it gets down to the root causes.
- Functional Medicine stops the guessing game! With the right tests, you will find out exactly what’s wrong and how to treat it.
- Functional Medicine truly heals your body and gets rid of your symptoms. You will feel like a new, healthy person!
To answer my own question from before, “No, not everyone felt the way I did. And people shouldn’t!” There is a solution to living a better life. And if you’re reading this, you’ve probably already decided that you want to figure out what’s wrong and heal yourself. It’s time to take the next step and seek the help of a professional. I have a follow-up post coming soon called “Everything You Need To Know About Functional Medicine Practitioners”. It will help you find the right doctor, navigate through insurance hurdles and give tips for your first appointment. Make sure to sign up for my email list, so you don’t miss the next post!