There are so many harmful chemicals around us all of the time. The best we can do is eliminate what’s in our homes and what we put in and on our bodies. That’s right, there are so many harmful chemicals in our beauty products!! And all of that junk sinks right through our skin and into our bodies.
Harmful Chemicals In Common Beauty Products
- Phthalates (or DBP/DEHP) are endocrine disruptors, which means they disrupt our normal hormonal processes and can lead to reproductive diseases and endocrine-related cancers. Not to mention a whole crap load of other symptoms caused from hormonal imbalances.
- Fragrance is the term the cosmetic industry uses to hide chemicals in their products. Laws allow these companies to add phthalates and other harmful chemicals into their fragrances, so they don’t have to disclose what is actually in their products. Basically if you see “fragrance” on a bottle, steer clear!
- Parabens are also endocrine disruptors and have been found in 99% of breast cancer tissues sampled. It’s pretty easy to conclude that exposure to parabens increases your risk of breast cancer.
- Sodium Laurel or Laureth Sulfate is a chemical foaming agent that make soaps and shampoos lather. However, this helpful chemical is very toxic to our bodies and should be avoided.
- Aluminum is in most antiperspirant deodorants. This metal mimics estrogen and can also cause direct damage to DNA, making it another chemical that increases your breast cancer risk. It’s especially harmful because we put it under our arms, next to important lymph nodes. It’s the perfect spot for the aluminum to sink right in and enter our systems.
These are just a few of the many, many harmful chemicals in our beauty products. And the worst part is, the FDA very loosely regulates this big, bad cosmetic industry. There are many loopholes that allow harmful chemicals to get into our products, without us even knowing.
So, what’s our solution?? Natural products! But, the good ones, which, based on all of this information, can be hard to find. So, I have collected some of my favorite, quality products to share with you. I definitely went through some trial and error until I found what works for me. Hopefully, this will prevent you from trying, and being disappointed, with a lot of products.
My Favorite Natural Products
- Facial Oils from Mountain Rose Herbs – I use the oil cleansing method to wash my face at night and I love using oils from Mountain Rose Herbs. I know that I’m getting organic, quality products from a sustainable, zero-waste company. I recommend starting with jojoba oil as a base to get you started. You can then add other oils or essential oils for even more benefits. These combinations are also good for serums and moisturizers.
- Tallow Balm Facial Moisturizer – I used to use facial oil as a moisturizer as well, but I still struggled with dry skin. I live in a pretty dry area! So I eventually found this Tallow Balm, sold by a local company in Bend, OR and made from grass-fed cows. I recommend the tallow balm with jojoba oil, as it absorbs into the skin really well. They’ve also added some amazing essential oils to make it smell great!
- Essential Oils from Edens Garden or Mountain Rose Herbs – I use essential oils in my oil cleansing recipes, as a perfume and in many other beauty concoctions. I like Edens Garden because they are super cost efficient and they are 100% pure. However, Mountain Rose Herbs’ essential oils are certified organic and cold pressed, which is an even higher level of quality. Some of their prices are comparable to Edens Garden, but there are quite a few oils that come at a higher price. So I kind of go back and forth between these two companies for my EOs.
- Makeup by 100% Pure – 100% Pure is free of all toxins, artificial colors, fragrances and preservatives. They get their colors from fruit dye. I’ve tried their foundations, powders, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, concealers, nail polish, almost everything! And I’ve never come across something I don’t love.
- Eye Makeup Remover – I make my own eye makeup remover. It’s super simple and cost efficient. I simply fill up an amber glass bottle with avocado oil and add a few drops of Vitamin E oil. It removes your makeup, adds moisture to your skin and prevents wrinkles!
- Deodorant by Schmidt’s or Meow Meow Tweet – I have tried so many natural deodorants and have even made my own. And I have to say most of them left me a little stinky, but then again, I do tend to sweat a lot! Schmidt’s was the first natural deodorant I found that worked. I do have to apply it twice a day, if I don’t want to stink by the end of the day. And because there is baking soda in it, I do experience some irritation occasionally. I recently got Meow Meow Tweet baking soda free deodorant and it gave me the same protection as Schmidt’s without the irritation from the baking soda. I’m able to apply it multiple times without worrying about my skin. It’s my favorite!!
- Facial Mud Mask – I love this mask to remove blackheads and clean out your pores. I like to use it one to two times per week. The only two ingredients are purified water and redmond clay, which is bentonite clay of the montmorillonite family. It leaves your skin feeling clean, but not dried out.
- Soap by Tumalo Lavendar Soaps – I love these soaps because they have actual dried lavender in the bars and they come from a local company near Bend, OR. I take my showers at night, so I feel like the lavender gives me a nice calming affect right before bed. Some of my favorites are the Lavender Goats Milk Soap, which is moisturizing and the Lavender & Chamomile Bar, which is exfoliating.
- Shaving Gel by Dr. Bronner’s – I love Dr. Bronner’s and they have so much more than castile soap! Their shaving gel leaves my skin soft and without razor bumps and irritation. And I have peace of mind knowing that it’s all natural with quality ingredients.
- Hand Soap by Dr. Bronner’s – Again, I know and trust that Dr. Bronner’s has only natural, quality ingredients in their products. And I like their pump hand soap over diluted castile soap, because they’ve added moisturizing oils and it’s much softer on my hands.
- The Diva Cup – I love this little menstrual cup! It’s all I use for my cycle now and I rest easy knowing I’m reducing waste and eliminating chemicals from entering my body. If you want to learn more about The Diva Cup and why it’s amazing check out Why I Love The Diva Cup.
When I don’t have the time to make my own stuff, I turn to these wonderful products! They have made the sometimes difficult transition to living natural much easier.
What natural products do you use? What are your favorite? Please share, because I always love trying new products!
This post contains Amazon and Mountain Rose Herbs affiliate links. However, all of my opinions are my own and are not swayed by being an affiliate.