Remaining healthy while at work can be a struggle, especially when donuts and treats are hiding around every corner! But staying on point with your diet and lifestyle routines are important and it helps you heal more quickly. Use these 10 tips to stay healthy at work and keep your healing journey going strong.
10 Tips To Help You Stay Healthy At Work
- Bring your own lunch and snacks. I can’t stress this enough. If you bring enough healthy food to keep you full throughout the day, you’ll be way less tempted to eat the free cookies. Use healthy storage containers, like glass tupperware or stainless steel bento boxes, to avoid harmful chemicals from plastic. And invest in a cute lunch box and snack bags to carry it all in!
- Bring your supplements and a reusable, eco-friendly water bottle. It can be really hard to remember to take all of your supplements, trust me I know! But if you have them on you, you’ll be more likely to remember to take them. And having your own reusable water bottle will encourage you to drink lots of water. My favorite brands are Hydro Flask and Lifefactory.
- Take frequent breaks for exercising or stretching. If you sit at a desk all, it’s important to get up and move around. Take a walk on your break, do some helpful yoga poses, like downward dog or cobra, or simply stretch out your body. Here are some great stretches to do at work. Many experts recommend taking a 5-10 minute break every hour.
- Do some eye exercises. Staring at a computer screen all day can really do damage to our eyes. While taking your exercise break, do some eye exercises as well. Try near and far focusing. Start by focusing on something 10 inches in front of you, then focus on something else 10 to 20 feet in front of you. On each inhale switch back and forth between the near and far object. Try some eye rolls. Start by looking up and slowly move your eyes in a clockwise circle 10 times, then move them counterclockwise for 10 circles. Finally, try zooming. Outstretch your arm and focus on your thumb, putting it in the hitchhiker position. Move your thumb about 3 inches from your face, all the while focusing on your thumb. Then move your arm back to the outstretched position. Do this for a few minutes. All of these exercises will strengthen your eye muscles and improve your vision.
- Invest in a standing desk. Geekdesk and Nextdesk are great options. Even if you can’t stand all day, start with 20 minutes and try working your way up. It will greatly improve your health and may improve any back or neck pain you are dealing with from sitting down all day.
- Clean the air. Put some plants in your office, like the peace lily or aloe plant, to help clear the air of toxic chemicals. Check out 7 Plants That Improve Indoor Air Quality by Body Unburdened. Another great option is buying a himalayan salt lamp. These salt lamps reduce pollen, dust, allergens and pollutants. Check out this post all about himalayan salt lamps by Pistachio Project to learn more.
- Stay organized. Invest in a file cabinet, folders and containers to organize your office. It’s been proven that staring at clutter all day long only stresses you out more. Coming into a clean, organized office everyday will calm you and make you feel more centered.
- Incorporate a little feng shui to your desk. Arrange items on your desk to enhance what you want from your career. If you want more wealth and prosperity, add enhancements in the upper, left hand corner of your desk, such as a large, healthy plant, a flowing water feature, a gold bowl with coins in it or red flowers. If you want to increase your creativity, place enhancements in the middle, right hand side of your desk, such as a lamp, white or pastel accents, a metal picture frame or art supplies. If you want to enhance your career, place enhancements in the front, center of your desk, such as items that are black or dark blue, photos of calm, moving water or other symbols that reflect success that you’ve had in your career so far.
- Stick to a routine. Wake up at the same time every day, leaving yourself enough time to get ready, so you don’t have to rush. Eat your meals at the same time every day and fall asleep at the same time. Our bodies run off of cycles and the more regular we are, the more our bodies will work in sync with our routines.
- Use some essential oils. Get a diffuser for your office and diffuse calming or focusing essential oils, depending on your mood. Lavender, chamomile or vetiver is great for relaxing you in times of stress and grapefruit, rosemary or peppermint is perfect for sharpening your focus to get those big projects completed on time.
With a few changes, it’s not so hard to stay healthy at work. You’ll be able to stick to your diet and lifestyle choices much easier, healing your body more quickly. And you’ll feel more comfortable and relaxed at work, allowing you to be more productive.
So often, our society runs on staying busy and keeping ourselves distracted. But if we take the time to slow down and be mindful, we’ll be happier. Take the time to tweak your routines and see what it can do for you. Stay natural!
What are your favorite healing work place routines? What do you do to stay healthy at work?
This post contains Amazon and Mountain Rose Herbs affiliate links. However, all of my opinions are my own and are not swayed by being an affiliate.